Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby Dorateen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Not to spoil too much, but the card game I alluded to is actually a modified form of Five Card Draw poker. Here's a sample of how it looks when displaying the player's hand:

It is achieved through multiple DC checks, and works off the currently selected character in the conversation interface. You'll want to try and win, or else lose some gold and suffer the taunts of Diggs the gambler.

Because the system is heavily randomized, there can be myriad permutations resulting in different outcomes. It's not perfect, but a fun little diversion.

The module itself is all but finished. I'm at the stage of correcting typos or adding minor details here and there. New release is coming soon! (Not this weekend, but very likely the next.)
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Awesome - what a creative approach to utilizing the dialogue system in fresh ways! Looks like everything works out according to plan, I am keeping fingers crossed for the last finishing touches :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Awesome work! Looking forward to it... Two or three weeks should be about right for me :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks, youngneil1 and slowdive. Added another new weapon to the list of unique items that can be found during this adventure.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:59 pm

I have a new version of the Hearkenwold campaign ready for download. This uses build 164 of the Iceblink engine, and the file can be downloaded here:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/ic ... earkenwold

The central part of the is update is the Halls of Hamhock adventure I've been working on. It's designed for a party of characters 5th to 7th level. And it's also a one-way dungeon, meaning once you enter, the player will not be able to exit. Thus, I had to make the very difficult decision to gate access by only allowing a party with at least one character who is 5th level. However, because of the staggered leveling system, that means the rest of the party could be 4th level or lower, if you are feeling lucky. I still advise making a master save before enter the Halls, just in case, so you don't get stuck. The way it works, when speaking to the guards at the Mountain gates, a character of at least 5th level will have the dialogue option to say they are ready. This will open up the way into the Mountain.

As previously, if anyone was in the middle of playing Hearkenwold, or if they had completed all the content, it is easy to transfer saves and characters to the new build 164. Just copy the "hearkenwold" folder that is in the saves folder of the old IceBlink version, and paste it into the saves folder of IBBeta164.

Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:19 pm

Awesome! We'll try and see if I can dig out the laptop and download the new update this weekend. :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:29 pm

That would be great, slowdive. I have tested the module on both a Windows 7 desktop and a Windows 10 laptop, without any glaring issues. It was an interesting experience recreating the NWN2 module in IceBlink.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Big congratulations on release! It will be a joy to dive into Hearkenwold again :) . I will jump into it as soon as I have finished the work on the engine for the moving props shown on neighbouring maps, too (Project Living World 2 :lol: ).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:51 pm

Thanks, youngneil1. You did really good work on the updated versions of the engines. Just the past few days, I have been running through build 164, and have not experienced any problem. Runs nice and smooth, combats and triggers working perfectly.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:31 am

Great to hear that the engine is working correctly on your end :) ! I am always a bit nervous when I think about all the things I might easily break when adding new stuff/optimizing. Without your feedback and first hand experience from building Hearkenwold over all these years it would never haven been possible to get IB to the point where it is right now.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion