[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
IceBlinkEngine.com • View topic - Image File Formats and Sizes

Image File Formats and Sizes

Any documentation, tutorials, tips and tricks, or examples on how to use the IB2 Toolset

Image File Formats and Sizes

Postby slowdive » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:42 am

I'll clean this table up a bit later:
Capture02.JPG
Capture02.JPG (95.75 KiB) Viewed 8883 times
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Image File Formats and Sizes

Postby Dorateen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:45 pm

This chart is very helpful, a good summary.

The forums look so nice and tidy now!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Mustawd » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:05 pm

For the creature and PC sprites, is a two image stack the only option available? Looking to create sprites and would be interesting if we could use an 8 frame animation.
Mustawd

Postby slowdive » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:43 pm

Welcome Mustawd, fellow codexian :D . At one point in the IB1 days, we had the number of token frames being user defined, but we noticed that most builders opted for just two frames due to the amount of work required to just create basic art resources for their modules. So for now, IB2 only has two frames for PC and creature tokens like goldbox. This could change in the future to allow for more frames, but is not in the current task list for IB2's initial release...unless some coder adds it in since the whole IB2 project is open source on GitHub :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustawd » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:12 am

Hey slowdive! I actually didn't put two and two together until I went back to the IB thread on the codex and saw your response. :D

So the reason I ask is that I'm slowly teaching myself pixel art, and am currently helping create assets for a small open source game that's basically a rogue-like with a party. Combat looks similar to the goldbox games and there's a world map in the same way IB has.

Long story short, it's my long term goal to improve enough at pixel art to create a large tileset that's close to games such as HoMM3 and Age of Wonders in terms of quality and breadth to create really nice maps and combat tokens. Going along with that is a desire to animate sprites to give it a more modern feel.

Anyhow, a lot of words to say that I'm excited at what I see with IB, and you'll be seeing me around and maybe contributing with some good quality art assets. So if someone would be willing to edit the ability to have multiple sprite animation, that'd be A-ok with me 8-)

EDIT: also, quick question because I'm confused...but is IB2 a thing? Because my impression was that IB1 was what is currently available to download and play modules on.
Mustawd

Postby slowdive » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:26 am

More artwork is always most welcome. IB2 is in beta mode v20: http://neverwintervault.org/project/ice ... nd-toolset
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:15 am

Welcome onboard, Mustawd :) ! I am looking forward toward what you come up with, an art library is really crucial for quick adventure building, so any help here is much appreciated.

I am digging into combat and animation code right now (with the original goal of speeding up combat a bit), so I will try so see if I can manage to add the option of having more than 2 frames possible (mayhaps copy and paste from sprite related code). Dont know if this leads anywehre, but I will try :) ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:24 pm

Right now the code assumes that their are only two frames. If we only allow for frames to be 100x100 pixels, then you can determine the number of frames by evaluating the width and height of the sprite sheet (the .png image file with all the frames). In the past we had a separate data file associated with each sprite image file. ..I want to avoid that so the data should be calculated or assumed...or the data could be included in the creature and PC object classes.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:29 am

Code for combat attack animations supports now a flexible number of frames (must yet be thororughly tested). If you like, Mustawd, just upload a vertical test sprite sheet (.png, 100 pix width and number of sprites * 100pix height) and I will give it a testrun :D !

Edit: Must verify, but even another size than 100x100 fpr each sprite should work, as long a it's a square metric (e.g. 150x150 per sprite in vertical sheet should work, too).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:21 pm

For now, large creatures are purely cosmetic...they have a large image, but only take up one square and also one square for path finding. A large creature is determined by the size of the image file. If the token is 200x200 pixels, it is a large creature. Down the line we will assign creature size in the creature object and size will impact number of squares just like in goldbox.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Users Guide and Tutorials