[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
IceBlinkEngine.com • View topic - Image File Formats and Sizes

Image File Formats and Sizes

Any documentation, tutorials, tips and tricks, or examples on how to use the IB2 Toolset

Re: Image File Formats and Sizes

Postby Mustawd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:04 am

Mustawd

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:24 am

Awesome! Looking forward to your sprite sheets :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Mustawd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:28 am

Well, here's the sprite I worked on today. Just a random orc. I still need to animate it, as well as fix the weapon. But I feel ok about it, First time making a character sprite, as I mostly have done environment stuff.

I attached the sprite as well as a zoomed in version just to view it better.
Attachments
orcc.png
orcc.png (19.01 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
orcb.png
orcb.png (55.13 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
Mustawd

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Very cool 8-) :D ! Great work on the highlights and shadows on muscles, head and clothing, especially considering you had only 100x100 pixels of space to achieve the effect. Will be a joy to see him swim this big axe of mayhem :mrgreen: ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Mustawd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks! This is just a generic sprite, which is probably why it's not really feeling all that "Orcish". But I wanted to throw something together to easily animate and test out the changes you guys made. I'm thinking 8 frames might be too ambitious, as I want to basically build a variety of sprites that encompass the kind of fantasy world you see in D&D.

So I think I'll try out a six frame animation and see how that goes. I can always go back later and add more frames if the number of frames is dynamic and as flexible as you guys make it sound.

Anyway, I'm excited to get started. Thanks for your guys' help!
Mustawd

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:24 am

It's a pleasure, mustawd :) .

Yes, I think the frame number should indeed be rather flexible. Speed of the animation would be another topic then (more frames = longer animation [fixed time per frame] or more frames = faster playing animation[fixed time per whole animation]). But it will need a multi frame sprite to do some testing and setting this up.

Six frames sounds like a lot of effort already, very impressive. A whole variety of typical D&D like critters would be most welcome :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Mustawd » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:47 am

Ok, here's my sprite sheet for testing purposes. When I tested the animation in photoshop, a 0.1 second delay on each frame seemed to give some good results. Also, posting the GIF taken on a neutral background.

EDIT: I decided to leave the axe as is, since it's just for testing purposes.
Attachments
orc sprite sheet .png
orc sprite sheet .png (292.78 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
Mustawd

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:00 am

Amazing! That's mighty fine work there :D ! Loving the added "swoosh" to the axe swing, also good thinking about balance of the attacker and shifting opposite leg and arm accordingly.

I will give it a testrun through the engine animation loop later on, world premiere for a more than two frame attack animation for IB 2.0, yeah :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:20 pm

Just saw the first glorious axe swing of our orc in battle in IB2, yeah :D . Great work, mustawd! Must fine tune speeds a bit more next step...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Mustawd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:39 am

Nice! Glad it worked out. Actually, despite all the flaws I was pretty happy with how it all turned. Although I've drawn a lot in pencil, I'm still new to digital art. In fact, this was my first time painting anything in color. Before it was just drawings on the tablet. Also my first time animating anything lol.

I think going forward I'll focus on creating tomens with just two sprites. Once I make good progress I'll look into animating them all similar to the orc. I'll use the old goldbox tokens as a starting point, but with a higher level of detail and resolution. This should be fun guys!
Mustawd

PreviousNext

Return to Users Guide and Tutorials