[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
IceBlinkEngine.com • View topic - Blackwinter

Blackwinter

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Blackwinter

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:56 pm

That's a very helpful description of the issue, Phil, many thanks. I think this gives me a good starting point to hunt the bug down...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:24 pm

youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Good work, Karl!
Its great to get it up and running in the module. The resting system I'm using is campfire based - you can rest only once at each campfire you find. I think the addition of the rations on top of that adds a lot of tension to exploration. :)
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:59 pm

That sounds truely awesome. Unlimited resting is a very convenient lazy/easy mode, especially when considering how fast in real time a player can click his party across our maps. I am looking foward to make those precious camp fires count :D .

Btw just tested the modified method for giving rations via trigger/convo and it worked out great, so it is one more for the fixed stuff list.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:42 am

Finishing the last 5% of the module seems to be taking up 95% of the time...!

Sorry, I'm stuck again - this time on spells. I've added in quite a few new ones, but the damage spells don't work - they only ever hit for 0 damage. I've tried tweaking the options in various different ways but I can't seem to change this. I don't think its linked to resistances etc, I'm testing with a level 1 PC with no equipment; and I've experimented with the damage quite a bit as well, but no change.

This is how I've set up the spell and effect for "Ray of Frost", which is a really basic low SP attack spell.
RaF2.png
RaF2.png (52.99 KiB) Viewed 6182 times

RaF1.png
RaF1.png (110.82 KiB) Viewed 6182 times

I might be missing something obvious (as is frequently the case)! Grateful for any help....
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:16 pm

Hi Pongo,

I'm not familiar with creating new spells at all, but looking at the second screen you posted, could it be the "damage number of actions" needs a value? Right now it is set to 0. Even if it does not apply to a spell, I wonder if there should be something like a "1" there by default.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:42 pm

Thanks Dorateen! I changed the "number of actions" parameter to 1s, but it still seemed to only be doing 0 damage.

I played around with the parameters a bit more and eventually got it working like this:

RaF3.png
RaF3.png (80.25 KiB) Viewed 6176 times

I looks like it was actually the "damage action" parameters that made the difference - upgrading those from 0s to 1s? Now the spell is doing 1d3 damage as intended, and isn't upscaling with level (as intended). I'm changing all the other damage type spells now, if they're working correctly at the end of the day I'm going to be a very happy camper.

Right, I know I've been saying this for weeks, but seriously, I'm nearly there! The last 5% of this module seems to have taken 95% of the time to complete....
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:28 pm

Yes, need 1 action. ..see example of fireball as written in the panel "Example Fireball: 1 of of these actions for every 0 levels..."
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:08 pm

Gald to see this sorted out :) . And eagerly reading on Blackwinter's progress :D . But no stress, I got distracted a bit again myself by Sykrim modding (but just spend another IB coding hour, so we still move ahead ;) ).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:20 am

Ahhh good old Skyrim... its been a while since I fired that up!

Short update:

I've changed the resting system in the module. Originally, each campfire would be a one-rest only deal which added to the delight of finding a new campfire, but playing through the module over the weekend I found this a bit frustrating. I'm going to keep an element of this in by having certain campfires become inaccessible after use, but generally I'm going to allow for multiple rests at each campfire. The PC is still constricted by the number of rations they're carrying, which makes finding rations more rewarding.

I'm having a few problems with creature powers (eg poison etc) but I reckon I can get those sorted this week. Also, I have a random crash that happens only occasionally when an enemy archer scores a hit and the module completely freezes up. I can't replicate the crash consistently and I haven't figured out why it happens. It doesn't happen often so as long as you save regularly it isn't the end of the world.

For the moment, I've decided against adding new traits. But all the new spells are up and running, giving a fairly good selection of Level 1 - 3 spells for Clerics and Mages. It works well - a bit too well, actually, I've had to tone down enemy spell casters because they kept wiping me out with AoEs!

In any case, the module is now fully playable and I intend to upload it on Saturday regardless of what I get done in the meantime. Phew - this has been a long time coming! It isn't long (4hrs I would guess) and I should have gotten it finished months back, but I got a bit bogged down in tweaking things (which I've quite enjoyed!)

And as for the name - the working title of "Dungeons3" has now been updated to "The Elderin Stone". ;)
Pongo
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion