Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby slowdive » Thu May 24, 2018 3:48 am

Awesome work there Karl on the effect on square fixes. I put that together quickly, but never full fleshed it out. Sounds impressive and should be fun to try it out in game.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:40 am

It worked very well right from the start, so it was easy to polish the rest :) .

Another untested (but highly regarded) functionality are effect triggers in combat (placed via toolset). Might be a good time to give them a spin. That or terraforming or more adventure map mechanisms (sneak, push, break, jump, climb, etc.). Choices, choices :D ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:45 am

Conceptualising a gaCastSpellEncounterTrigger script here, maybe like this:

//string parm1 tag of spell
//int parm2 caster level
//bool parm3 call every every step (true/false); note : if false, this spell can only be applied once during a pc/creature turn from triggers (eg preevnt exploiting heal pools)
//bool parm4 remove effect immediately when leaving trigger square (true/false); this is handy for triggers that buffs or debuffs for position, simualting eg height advantage or a slippy underground

The spell will always target the square the pc/cretaure is on whose current turn it is.

Parms leave no room for customized log text unfortunately, but maybe I can automate that like: like "pc" triggered "name of spell".

I have the feeling this will be tricky to get right, but then again this has the potential to add a whole new tactical layer to battles.

Like with the lingering effect casts (eg flame walls, poison louds) please keep in mind here to that our AI is very strightforward. Players can lure the AI into very bad positions. Then again it should be fun for players to do so if enncounters are balanced with this AI flaw in mind.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:57 am

More food for thought:

- triggers(encounter) migth be called not only after each move, but also at start of turn in any case (so a pc can remain standing on a positional buffing square and continue to enjoy the benefits)
- parm3 (call every step: true/flase) might become a direct trigger(encounter) property
- this would allwo custmo text for log on parm3 (or 4, swirhcing these) (overiding normal spell text) (if "none", then default message)
- trigger(encounter) might also get a new image property - this image willl also have an +off counterpart image that is used for triggers that have been triggered already this turn (and work only ponce per turn), image is removed once charges of trigger are depleted

The triggers(encounter) can easily be connected with a gcPassSkillCheck, so maybe certain pc can avoid negative effects (eg skillfully tumbling through a trapped area) and some positive effects might only be available for certain other characters (eg pray at a statue for replenishing some spell points). GcPassSkillCheck will likely need an additional parm for choosing the pc whose turn it is (or simply "leader" works that way in combat).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:27 am

As expected this is difficult work. RL is a bit more interfering than usually on top of that and also I re-invented the wheel by accident with some part of the code as I later found Jer's already existing solutions for these. Oh well, stupid me. Nonetheless, I am making progress here, but debugging this one will take quite some time...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon May 28, 2018 6:58 pm

youngneil1 wrote:As expected this is difficult work. RL is a bit more interfering than usually on top of that and also I re-invented the wheel by accident with some part of the code as I later found Jer's already existing solutions for these. Oh well, stupid me. Nonetheless, I am making progress here, but debugging this one will take quite some time...

Honestly, I can't recall what I did with the encounter triggers and what currently works :oops: :lol:

I know I had a test module with an encounter for testing that had trap squares (some that only worked on PCs and some that only worked on creatures) with visible images and hidden images I think. I also had a stinking cloud spell for testing casting spells on squares.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:21 pm

Honestly, I can't recall what I did with the encounter triggers and what currently works :oops: :lol:

Hehe, I know that feeling oh to well :roll: . At least your code is structured very clearly which makes getting back to it (and understanding it on first contact) much easier - when I find my own forgotten code the real trouble starts :lol: .

I know I had a test module with an encounter for testing that had trap squares (some that only worked on PCs and some that only worked on creatures) with visible images and hidden images I think. I also had a stinking cloud spell for testing casting spells on squares.

Indeed, I found all of this. Where I miserably fumbled was remembering/recognizing soon enough that props already can be triggered in combat, too, and also detecting the spell script you already made for application from triggers and prop triggers in encounters.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:50 am

Still having headache time here. One main problem is that creatures can be killed during their own turn now. Furthermore, other creatures can be killed in another creature's turn, too, now. All of this not just at the start of a turn, but after each move potentially (eg just think of mine field like squares that make the whole area around them explode). This has effects on the order of creatures acting and therewith eg on recognizing next creature to act. I am currently toying with various solution approaches to this. Trouble is though that it is very easy to introduce new bugs while doing so. Ohwell, no one said that this was gonna be easy :mrgreen:.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:39 pm

Bug by bug, I am crawling forward. It will be worth it for certain, but I would be lying if I would say this my favourite time of IB development, harf :lol: :mrgreen: !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:52 am

Almost there :) . Last few battles were bug free and functionality I aimed for is almost completely in (minus some stuff concerning graphics for triggers as well as "off" graphics for triggers as well as props; these will come later, the wait has been long enough).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions