Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby slowdive » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Downloading now. My 10 year old daughter, 5 year old son, and I have been playing Icewind Dale EE on our iPads the past week in multiplayer mode and we are having a lot of fun together. They are starting to better understand the AD&D system. Natalie is an Archer, Ben is a Sorcerer, and I am a fighter/cleric (the tank). We are in the Vale of Shadows main crypt level 2 now.

I think once Ben goes down and Natalie is still awake for a bit, she and I will play Hearkenwold together. I will let her make two characters that she controls and I will make two for me. This should be lots of fun. Maybe I'll try and record our play throughs.

On another note, we are finally under contract with a house that should close at the end of the month. This has been a crazy and challenging year with selling our last home and living in an apartment while trying to find another home in this crazy market.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:58 pm

That is great news all around! Good luck with closing the sale. And IWD seems like a good place to introduce AD&D.

It's interesting how you are teaching your son and daughter. Reminds me of what I read about Gary Gygax prototyping Dungeons and Dragons with his daughter who was about Natalie's age, and her younger brother. Hope they have fun, and develop a long lasting interest in the hobby.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:08 pm

Yes, good luck! Icewind Dale remains one of my favorite games of all time. So replayable.
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:44 am

Very nice screenshots in the latest update :) , the new graphic for the standing stones fits very well. Good catch concerning the usage of Wisdom to determine spell points for clerics/paladins. It slipped my attention while playing Hearkenwold, too. I look forward to the guild system in action - it will flesh out the background of the classes and characters in a really interesting way.

On another note, we are finally under contract with a house that should close at the end of the month. This has been a crazy and challenging year with selling our last home and living in an apartment while trying to find another home in this crazy market.

Keeping fingers crossed for finalizing the contract (and moving into your new home) :) ! The market for houses/appartments in Germany is very crazy these days, too. Even with decent incomes of two people it's hard to find a good place to live. Basically, you can only afford interesting/centrally located objects if you have a wealthy family background, which is frustrating for many people here.

It's interesting how you are teaching your son and daughter. Reminds me of what I read about Gary Gygax prototyping Dungeons and Dragons with his daughter who was about Natalie's age, and her younger brother. Hope they have fun, and develop a long lasting interest in the hobby.

It must be a very cosy feeling to see your little ones begin this journey. Hope they stick with it :) . Watching "Stranger Things" with them once they are a bit older seems like a great move, so they will see how it felt for us back then :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:18 pm

October Update

Not much of an update here, but I did make available a new version that uses build 173 of the IceBlink Engine. It can be downloaded from the following link:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/ic ... earkenwold

This fixes the issue of equipped ammunition vanishing upon reload of a save. Thank you, youngneil1, for looking into this an applying a fix so quickly!

As before, any existing saves from previous campaigns can be copied over and pasted into the saves folder of build 173.

Still trying to finish the Cleric guild quest. It has some elements that could be frightening, so it would be appropriate to make a Halloween release.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:27 am

Hehe, Halloween release sounds like a fine goal there :) ! Once I have finished writing all those guides in 2027 :roll: (setting up movers, trait system and interactive props, how paint sprites in order to enable automatic pc/prop animations), I look forward to entering Hearkenwold again (I think I will do the building of the test village afterwards, we will see..).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Previous

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion