Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:35 am

I might smuggle in another idea into next beta (before continuing Hearkenwold) - a danger level indicator for encounters. Authors might find a new property for encounters, like challengeLevel. The challengeLevel is what the author balanced the encounter for - it refers to the average character level in the party (of recommended size). The engine will then show danger symbols (little skulls maybe) on top of props that carry such encounters, warning of the challenge ahread. The number of skulls shown will result from a comparison between current average level in party and challenge level of an encounter. I guess encounters starting from convos could make use of this system, too, warning the player before choosing the convo option that finally triggers the difficult encounter.

As my vision of the game world is a rather open one, it will be crucial to have some such system to prevent painful try & error on the player's side whiel exploring the world. For mystery's sake I will also add a property to encounters that will veil the challenge level of the particular encounter, maybe a question mark is then shown instead of the skulls.

As always, all of this will be optional.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:07 pm

Current new features sound amazing... Will add lots of flexibility for builders.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:15 am

It's fun getting the new features in :) . I like to dream of the gameworld once everything is in. Sometimes, I imagine spreading a world map over our living room, over the wooden floor, the table, the chairs, the couch.. foreign and exotic lands lie there. Cities, mountain ranges, deep forests, oceans, dungeons... between them NPC move, while dangerous creatures roam the wilds at the same time. All those little dancers do their act right in our living room and I can see them when I close my eyes just a tiny bit ;). Day by day, week by week I feel this pictures grows more solid and this is a great rewared in itself.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:15 am

IB Beta v120 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v2daamnsj123 ... 0.zip?dl=0

- added complex coordinates system (showing hierarchy of maps on higher zoom out levels in the clock info line); this can be activated under module properties (off by default); when activating it, make sure to use the mainUILayout file from the default module and redo any custom changes you did to that file (the complex coordinate system brings interface changes that are partially contained in that mainUILayout file, like new buttons ín top left corner showing torches/light units, rations and current zoom level/time per step). The hierarchy info needed can be entered under area properties of a map. A new concept here is the "zone". Use this for areas of same zoom level you consider connected horizontally or vertically - it's just an abstract construct for structuring the world, not anything with a graphic representation of its own.

- even when not using the complex coordinates system, the current x,y coodinate is now displayed in brackets behind the area name (in the clcok info line); this should allow an easier taking of notes and going back to interesting locatiosn alter on

- added challengeLevel and challengeHidden properties to encounters. The challenge level is the average level of pcs in the party that an author designed an encounter for. When the challenge level is 2 or 3 levels higher than the actual average level of pcs in the party, a single flaming sword icon is shown on top of any prop that carries this encounter (recognizing encounters from convos is not yet in though); 4 or 5 levels difference adds another sword, as does 6+ levels difference; encounters with challengeHidden will always just show a blue question mark on their prop; encounters only 1 level higher, same or lower level are just displayed as of now (no addtional icons)

- reworked the size of mini and tiny props (and party accordingly) - all are a bit larger now, allowing for real playability on such maps; the mini/tiny settings are used to recognize the zoom level of a map (see under area properties); also add a new property to props themselves that allows them being drawn full size regardless of zoom level (overriding the mini/tiny props setting for the area)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:19 am

Bugs for me to fix:
- double kill animation and log message when killing a creature with weapon that has spell/onhit script on it
- MageArmor cast by creatures on creatures seems to have no effect
- sometimes equipment changes that should end turn fail to do so

Feature ideas:
- add button to party screen to change party order via dialogue menu (the lower the number, the more dangerous the position is usually, ie number 1 up front, number 6 most protected; note that in surprise encounters this might be very different)
- give interparty dialogue an own button for better visibility
- show potential targets for spells outside battle with hp left (easier selection of whom to heal)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:38 pm

youngneil1 wrote:- sometimes equipment changes that should end turn fail to do so

youngneil1, if this was based on your recent playthrough, I'm not sure if it is a bug. As a personal preference, I wanted to allow free swapping of weapons in combat. I might have missed changing the property setting on a few items, which would give the impression that some do end a turn and some changes do not.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 pm

youngneil1, if this was based on your recent playthrough, I'm not sure if it is a bug. As a personal preference, I wanted to allow free swapping of weapons in combat. I might have missed changing the property setting on a few items, which would give the impression that some do end a turn and some changes do not.

Good heads up, Dorateen. Indeed, I might have missed that some weapons in Hearkenwold end turn on change and others dont.

I have fixed the duplicate kill aniamtions/messages for weapons with spell effects now. Also, I have added hp and sp info to the list with casters/targets when casting out of combat (or using traits).

Currrently, I am looking into adding some kind fo filter buttons (All, Weapons, Armor, General) to the inventory (and eventually shop) screen. I think these would be really handy for longer campigns when the loot starts to pile up :). Hard to say whether this works out though - it will be a longer project for sure.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Good progress with the filter functionality in inventory screen. It seems to work great here, but I still have to code the front end (new buttons and tie them into the functionality). Then I will ahve to look whether I will have to make adjustments for inventory in combat. Finally, I might take a look into shop inventories, too.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:04 pm

youngneil1 wrote:it will be a longer project for sure.

HAha, sounds familiar. I never know how much effort it will take to do a task...sometimes the 'easy ones' take forever and the 'hard ones' are quick :D I'm just bad at estimating :lol:
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 am

Exactly, feeling the same. Often the devil is in the details - and when I did code lazily in the past, I pay double time in the future, even for small stuff :lol: .

That said, I have 4 sorting (filter) buttons working in inventory screen now. I still see at least one nasty bug with them and also have some polishing ahead. Overall, it looks really good for this feature, it will very likely be in next beta (at least for the inventory screen). With my Hearkenwold lvl 7/8 level party it is really helpful to get e.g. a quick overview over all the cool weapons I have yet to try out 8-) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions