Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:53 pm

Polishing, building, bug fixing.. building the tutorial adventure generates ventures back into coding land at every turn, but I really like how it all comes together. Currently, I am working on the information that is displayed on any creature/NPC prop on main map.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:01 pm

youngneil1 wrote:Bump info floaties for props are up and running :). In the process, I also had to fix a really ugly bug related to preventing info floaties from being shown in darkness.

Authors can stick pop up texts everwhere now very easily. Be it on the ground, on walls, on objects... and the player can access this info very intuitvely, too, by mousing over, walking onto it or bumping into it. This gives me confidence that world building will work out even with limited art skills/ressources/under time restraints.

I also added a little twist for secret doors: They can have pop up text, too - like "Some bones stick out of this wall, strange...". When successuflly opening the secret door (active search via space key + successful skill check), this pop up text will not be shown anymore. Just a little touch, but exactly these touches only come to mind due to building and playtesting the tutorial adventure.

This is a great touch with the floaty text. That will enhance the experience. I really like how The Elderin Stone used the floaty text system to add descriptions to areas and props.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:23 pm

I poured lots of work into the info shown on mouse over on props that carry encounters:

They will now show an ingame name for encounter (like eg "Kobold warband", optional), the movement speed of the prop (including chances for 0 moves and double moves, all influenced by the Traveller skill level of the party), the stealth skill (or "No stealther") and chase behaviour including spot skill (or "No chaser").

I also reworked the graphics for the encounter, mandatory and optional conversation indicators carried by props to look nicer and be less intrusive (you can toggle these indicators on and off).

Combined with the already existing system for challenge levels (up to three flaming sword icons to indicate danger), there is lots of info availabe to the player now. This in turn makes these systems shine a bit more as they become much less hidden and more prominent in the awareness of the player.

All of this works cross areas, ie when examining neighbouring areas via mouse over, too.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:49 pm

The additional info on mouse over for props with encounters sounds great and very useful. I see lots of wandering monsters with limited random encounters (like in goldbox) in coming.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:46 pm

Yep, the world can be alive with roaming monsters (even respawning or only active under certain conditions, like night time). Depending on the skills of the party/the current party leader, these monsters might move faster than the party or be invisible until stepped upon. They can actively chase the party, just patrol fixed paths or stand as stationary guards.

Depending on the usage of these systems in a module, a random encounter system could be set up (eg with respawning, invisible, random pathed movers). Lots of creative options ahead :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 am

A click on one of the trait buttons on main map (top row) shows that trait's description now. Currently I am writing those descriptions, trying to add the most relevant details.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:21 am

Almost done with the - rather extensive - trait description(one to go). I use these to also describe a few underlying mechanisms on the adventure maps that interact with the respective trait (chase system, hiding props, light&darkness, search actions, relative speed, etc.). While at it I have given the scrolling and usage of the message boxes another polish pass.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:50 pm

All trait descriptions (for the mentioned main map relevant traits) are in.

Little to do list befor I continue to expand the tutorial dungeon:

- off (not learned) grey scale icons for these traits (do it by converting the existing colorful ones)
- new indicators for traits learned, not learned, available for learning, not available (before these were green, red and yellow boxes, might as well be very similar to these)
- improve drawing of full party: the idea is to draw the whole party (minus leader) always on one of the four squares next to the current player location as miniature sprites, vaguely the same size as the fully zoomed out prop size (tiny). The fitting of these four squares lies always in the opposite diretcion of the last move of the party, ie on the party's last position. In case of transitions, in case of tunnels and in case of moving props stepping onto the party's "tail end" we will need special rules.

Oh, I already added a little short lived floaty above the party whenever the leader is changed - the floaty shows the new leader's name.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:53 pm

First iteration of new show full party system works out well already, a promising start ;) . The non-leader party members are drawn very small, but they all fit on the party last position square with no overlaps within party or with scenery from neighbouring squares.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:58 am

The last additions sound great. Look forward to testing them out in the tutorial module with all the floaty text, trait descriptions, and new full party look.

Possible bug: When I turn debugmode on, I can't use the "kill" button because it sits in top of another button. I am using the repo directly from GitHub so I'm not using any custom UI stuff.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions