Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby zach_holbrook » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Wow! Seven years...
zach_holbrook

Postby Dorateen » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:24 pm

youngneil1 wrote:
- added two new scripts for player character guilds. These allow to display guild info - guild name, current rank name - for each charcater on the party screen (between the attribute section and the equipped items section). Also, it's possible to check against achieving a certain rank within a specified guild. This somewhat completes the faction system (which affects the NPC/creatures). A pc guild and a faction can be the very same - just a naming convention then. As Dorateen already showed, log entries and specific guild traits can very nicely complement this. The guild scripts are very free form - which makes them flexible, but also requires a bit of extra work to set everything up

That's great, youngneil1. I did not expect this additional custom guild scripting. I will check it out!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:56 pm

That sounds/looks really cool with the scripts for factions. We are still getting through the “moving in” phase and my work area is looking better. Hopefully I can get back to IBx soon. I will probably be targeting MacOS, iOS, Android, and ChromeOS. It will be exactly the same thing/code as the PC version just using xamarin to target other platforms.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zach_holbrook » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:56 pm

I've run into a bug with the waypoint placement button on area maps. After I select or place a prop, the toolset sometimes defaults to WP placement mode and other buttons cease working until the map is closed. I've also found that saving in this state can lead to a crash.
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:27 am

That sounds/looks really cool with the scripts for factions. We are still getting through the “moving in” phase and my work area is looking better. Hopefully I can get back to IBx soon. I will probably be targeting MacOS, iOS, Android, and ChromeOS. It will be exactly the same thing/code as the PC version just using xamarin to target other platforms.

Amazing! It will be really cool to have such a wide platfom support in the end. If there's anything I can do to support this work, please let me know :) .

I've run into a bug with the waypoint placement button on area maps. After I select or place a prop, the toolset sometimes defaults to WP placement mode and other buttons cease working until the map is closed. I've also found that saving in this state can lead to a crash.

Thank you for the valuable feedback, Zach. I will look into this one - it was quite tricky to get in and it's a bit rough around the edges. It definitely should not automatically activate itself in any case though.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:03 am

Installing VS 2019 at the moment with Xamarin. Looks like there have been some updates to SkiaSharp as well. I may try and look into moving to normal Xamarin instead of Xamarin.Forms for IBx. This way I can target more platforms such as MacOS. Xamarin.Forms only has Android, UWP, and iOS as official targets. We'll see though, may be too messy. Xamarin.Forms is nice because almost 100% of code is shared with all platforms.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:40 am

Installing VS 2019 at the moment with Xamarin. Looks like there have been some updates to SkiaSharp as well. I may try and look into moving to normal Xamarin instead of Xamarin.Forms for IBx. This way I can target more platforms such as MacOS. Xamarin.Forms only has Android, UWP, and iOS as official targets. We'll see though, may be too messy. Xamarin.Forms is nice because almost 100% of code is shared with all platforms.

I fear I am not much of a help with this decision. As I foresee tricky work up ahead my gut feeling is to try out the most easy route (even if this reaches less plattforms).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:54 am

Currently I am optimizing how the engine handles the mover choke points (squares that have waypoints for many props) that directly lie on a map border (like on a road that leads into the next map). This is a surpsingly complex subject- at least when I want to maintain smooth walking from one area to the next - as the pathfinding (and therewith alternative route calculation for eg walkign around another prop) itself does not work cross different areas. I will allow the presence of multiple props on a choke point square, but at the same time make sure that those immediatly move away from choke points, keeping the time of overlapse as small as possible.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:13 am

I think I have a working solution for the chokepoint/bottleneck problem described above:

1. Movers between neighbouring areas are allowed to stack with other movers of all kinds on area departure and arrival waypoints directly on map border (crossover waypoints). This is an exception to the one mover per square rule.
2. To minimize potential mutliple movers on one square situations, they will immeditaley leave such crossover waypoints on area border, overriding any departure time settings.
3. All of this is only true for time driven movers on crossover waypoints between areas (on each side of area border). All other situations still adhere to the one mover per square rule. Arrival locations for movers teleporting/spawning into an area without smooth transition will respect the one mover per square rule - in occupied arrival square cases the code tries to find a fitting alternative nearby arrival location. Movers targeted toward a non-neighbouring area will also not enter an occupied departure waypoint square - instead they will simply teleport from where they are towards the non-neighbouring area when the time has come. Both behaviours - teleport in arrival and teleport off departure - are flagged with "Just arrived here" and "Heading off" floating messages respectively.

First playtesting of this looks very promising :) ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:33 pm

IB v179 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzipfav0ka53v ... 9.zip?dl=0

- implemented solutions for chokepoint/bottleneck spots concerning waypoints of movers on the same spot (see above); this goes a long way in making the placement of movers in the toolset a fire and forget process - the little buggers are much better at getting aorund/through each other even in very complex, crowded, cross-multi-area scenarios now
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions