Hearkenwold

Discuss user created adventure modules
Dorateen

Re: Hearkenwold

Post by Dorateen »

Thanks, slowdive. Slowly but surely I'm getting there.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

December Update

Just some screenshots from Relmfur and surrounding areas. This is firmly in "Stage 3" design territory, meaning I aim to finish this month and then start on the guild adventures in January. I was working on those at this time last year, and I anticipate the recreation in the KotC engine to go quickly. I am also currently working on the Village of Hamhock. A nice place to spend the holidays.

I am starting to plan the next part as well, once I return to building in the IceBlink engine. Of course with the guild missions completed, the party will have a chance to receive audience with the King of Hearkenwold Castle (finally!). From there, the main adventure progresses and will open up new areas to the east. It would be easy to follow a linear path at this point, but that is something I want to avoid doing. Instead, I expect to include new maps that will eventually connect with existing content. Again, allowing the player to access these zones even if the stray from the more structured path. It's a challenge, but there is a lot of room to fill in the game world map.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Looking good and more good progress made. I saw that KotC is on sale on GOG... I'll need to look into that so I can play Hearkenwold once ready. Our family was playing Grounded for a couple of months, but we got bored with it as they are still in early production and we ran out of things to do.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

That's right, the original Knights of the Chalice was recently released on GOG. The official release of KotC2 is supposed to come to steam and GOG as well, but no definite date yet. I would love to have the Hearkenwold conversion project finished in time so that it will be another module available to players.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Is Hearkenwold for KotC1 or KotC2? I haven't played KotC so I am not very knowledgeable. What will I need to play Hearkenwold in the KotC engine?
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

Hearkenwold is using the KotC 2 engine. That was a kickstarter earlier this year and was funded in July. I was a backer, so I was able to get the game, which includes the module editor I've been working with. I believe people could contact the developer if they wanted to get a copy through his site now, but he is still fixing some bugs.

Knights of the Chalice 2 is more of a module creation kit, with the first official release being "Augury of Chaos". He plans to release more adventures along the way.

The one thing about KotC in general is that combat can be brutal, mostly due to the reactive AI. I am finding the same encounters in Hearkenwold playing out with more challenge, but because Hearkenwold is more open by design, players should have the opportunity to explore, level up and grow more powerful to take on tougher enemies.
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

I've been refreshing the GOG page for KotC2 since the first one came out--I'm eager to try it out, and I hope I'll be able to play Hearkenwold in it soon!
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

The last KotC2 update included the release of the guide book or Augury of Chaos (330 pages). That was a big step, so I think the game could be available first quarter 2021.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

Today I downloaded the latest build of Knights of the Chalice 2 on the laptop I sometimes use, which means I was able to capture some video!

This part of Herakenwold sees the party exploring an optional tower location. Just a quick sample to show off some basic interactions and of course, combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMBPCcR ... e=youtu.be
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Thanks for the video, that helps me see what KotC is like and how Hearkenwold plays in the engine. My 6 yr old boy and I watched the video and he was impressed with the wraith's level drain and wanted that for his PC. I said you will need to become undead first and he was okay with that :lol: